- FLAG 🇺🇸
- CAPITAL Washington, DC
- GOVERNMENT constitutional federal republic
- CURRENCY dollar (USD)
- POPULATION 323,995,528
- TOTAL AREA 3,794,079 Square Miles or 9,826,675 Square Kilometers
- LANGUAGES English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 2.7%, other 0.7% –> note: the US has no official national language, but English has acquired official status in 28 of the 50 states; Hawaiian is an official language in the state of Hawaii
- DECIMAL SYSTEM United States uses United States customary system (very similar to imperial – pounds, feet, °F)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is from UTC-10:00 to UTC-05:00 with daylight saving time
- LOCATION United States is located in Northern America.
Most popular cities in USA
- Boston – best known for its colonial history, its passion for sports, and its university students
- Chicago – the country’s third largest city (though still known as “the Second City”), heart of the Midwest and transportation hub of the nation, with massive skyscrapers and other architectural gems
- Las Vegas – gambling city in the Nevada desert, home to over half of the top 20 biggest hotels in the world; popular for its casinos, shows and extravagant nightlife
- Los Angeles – the country’s second largest city, home of the film industry, musicians, artists, and surfers, with beautiful mild weather, great natural beauty from mountains to beaches, and endless stretches of freeways, traffic, and smog
- Miami – attracts sun-seeking northerners and home to a rich, vibrant, Latin-influenced, Caribbean culture
- New Orleans – “The Big Easy” is the birthplace of Jazz, and is known for its quaint French Quarter and annual Mardi Gras celebration
- New York City – the country’s largest city, home of the financial services and media industries, with world-class cuisine, arts, architecture, and shopping
- San Francisco – the City by the Bay, featuring the Golden Gate Bridge, vibrant urban neighborhoods, and dramatic fog
- Seattle – rich museums, monuments, and recreational opportunities, and five distinct climates within 200 miles (321km)
- Washington, D.C. – the current national capital, filled with major museums and monuments, along with multi-cultural communities
Sockets & Plugs
United States uses 120V, 60Hz with sockets and plugs Type A and Type B.
United States uses the United States dollar (symbol: $), code USD.
Banknotes come in denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 dollars. Dollar is subdivided into 100 cents. Coins come in denominations of 1 dollars and 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 cents.
Credit & debit cards
Credit cards are widely accepted within United States (at hotels, shops, and restaurants, travel agencies, car-rental agencies etc.). Visa, MasterCard, Maestro and Discover are the most widely accepted. American Express and JCB are less common. Diners Club is pretty rare. UnionPay and RuPay are unknown.
Automatic teller machines (local name: ATM) are everywhere in United States. Pretty much anywhere you look there will be an ATM. United States has one of the highest ATM densities in the world.
You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Expected to tip
Tipping is expected in United States since staff depend on tips to supplement their often minimum wages.
Internet speed in United States is on average 14.2 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in United States is very high. Most hotels, hostels, cafes, restaurants and bars have it.
You can buy a SIM card for about $16.32, which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 4 telecoms: Verizon Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint.
United States uses GSM mobile networks GSM 850 and GSM 1900.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in United States upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.
To call United States, dial +, then 1 (the country code for United States), then the area code (without the initial 1) and the local number.
Moderate crime rate
United States has a moderate crime rate . Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.
It’s recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
In United States you drive on the right side. Most cars have automatic transmission.
Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 24-74 mph (40-120 km/h) in all built-up areas, 44-74 mph (72-120 km/h) on undivided highways, 60-80 mph (97-129 km/h) on motorways and 60-80 mph (97-129 km/h) on expressways.
Turn on red
Right turn on red lights is allowed unless a sign explicitly forbids it.
It is illegal to drive with blood alcohol content higher than 0.08%.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Although it is legal to purchase or drink alcohol, minimum age requirements still differ across regions. Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is 21 years old.
Blood-alcohol limit is 0.08% (0.8g per litre of blood) while driving.
Prostitution is illegal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are illegal.
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized at federal level
Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.
Cannabis is completely legal for personal use in states of Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington.
- Police 911
- Ambulance 911
- Fire department 911
No vaccinations are required to enter this country
No vaccinations are required to enter the country, but it is recommended to perform routine immunizations for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $20.39Was: $29.99
Price: $16.96Was: $24.95
Price: $18.35Was: $29.99
Price: $11.49Was: $24.99
Price: $16.99Was: $24.99
Price: $19.36Was: $30.00
Price: $15.63Was: $23.00
Price: $12.07Was: $14.95
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com