Travel Information Lebanon
- FLAG 🇱🇧
- CAPITAL Beirut
- GOVERNMENT Parliamentary republic with a power-sharing mechanism based on religious communities
- CURRENCY Lebanese pound (LBP) (US dollars widely accepted)
- POPULATION 4,424,050 (2006 est.)
- TOTAL AREA total: 10,452km² water: 170km² land: 10,230km²
- LANGUAGES Arabic (official), French, English, Armenian
- DECIMAL SYSTEM Lebanon uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is UTC+02:00 with daylight saving time
- LOCATION Lebanon is located in Western Asia
Most popular cities in Lebanon
- Beirut – the capital and largest city
- Baalbek – a Phoenician and Roman archaeological site, including the biggest temple all over the Roman Empire
- Byblos (Jbeil) – another city with plenty of remains, castles and museums
- Jounieh – known for its seaside resorts and nightclubs
- Sidon (Saida) – plenty of medieval remains
- Tripoli (Trablus) – still unspoilt by mass-tourism
- Tyre (Sour) – has a number of ancient sites, including its Roman Hippodrome which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Zahle – capital of Bekaa Valley
Sockets & Plugs
Lebanon uses 230V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type C, Type D and Type G.
Lebanon uses the Lebanese pound (symbol: ل.ل), code LBP.
Banknotes come in denominations of 100000, 50000, 20000, 10000, 5000 and 1000 pound. Pound is subdivided into 100 piastres. Coins come in denominations of 500 and 250 pound.
Automatic teller machines are common in Lebanon. You can usually find them in both large & small cities.
You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Internet speed in Lebanon is on average 1.8 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in Lebanon is moderate. It’s relatively easy to find one when needed.
You can buy a SIM card for about 31,480.88 LBP, which includes 2 GB of data plan. You can choose from 2 telecoms: Touch or Alfa.
Lebanon uses GSM mobile networks GSM 900 and GSM 1800.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in Lebanon upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.
To call Lebanon, dial +, then 961 (the country code for Lebanon), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.
Moderate crime rate
Lebanon has a moderate crime rate . Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.
It’s recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
In Lebanon you drive on the right side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).
Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 100 km/h (62 mph) on expressways, 100 km/h (62 mph) on motorways and 50 km/h (31 mph) in all built-up areas.
IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is 18 years old.
Prostitution is legal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are legal.
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.
- Police 112
- Ambulance 140
- Fire department 175
- Police 160
- Civil defense 125
No vaccinations are required to enter this country
No vaccinations are required to enter this country. The vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for the traveler’s protection.
- Typhoid fever
- Hepatitis A
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $22.97Was: $25.99
Price: $20.39Was: $29.99
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $13.69Was: $16.95
Price: $17.74Was: $35.00
Price: $21.62Was: $29.99
Price: $15.22Was: $18.95
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com