Travel Information Suriname
Find more information below on Suriname, South America, such as general information, currency, safety and more.
- FLAG 🇸🇷
- CAPITAL Paramaribo
- GOVERNMENT Republic
- CURRENCY Surinamese Dollar(SRD)
- POPULATION 537,311 (July 2014 est.)
- TOTAL AREA total: 163,270 km2 (land: 161,470 km2 water: 1,800 km2)
- LANGUAGES Dutch (official), English (widely spoken), Sranang Tongo (Surinamese, sometimes called Taki-Taki, is native language of Creoles and much of the younger population), Hindustani (a dialect of Hindi), Javanese
- DECIMAL SYSTEM metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is UTC-03:00
- LOCATION located in South America.
Most popular cities in Suriname
- Paramaribo – capital of the country and UNESCO World Heritage Site for its colonial buildings, and the only city
- Albina – popular tourist destination in the east
- Brownsweg – gateway to the Brownsberg Nature Park
- Lelydorp – second largest village of Suriname
- Moengo – in former times it was a center for the mining and storage of bauxite
- Nieuw Amsterdam – pretty much a suburb of Paramaribo. It has an interesting museum in the former fort which is strategically located on the confluence of the Surinam and Commewijne rivers. Splendid view. Entry price to the museum 12,5 SRD.
- Nieuw Nickerie – largest village of the West Coast with 13,000 inhabitants
- Paranam – another bauxite village
- Wageningen – the rice village of Suriname Nature Resort
- Kabalebo – Nature Resort in pristine rainforest
Sockets & Plugs in Suriname
127/230V, 60Hz with sockets and plugs Type A, Type B, Type C and Type F.
Suriname uses the Surinamese dollar (symbol: $), code SRD.
Banknotes come in denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 dollars. Dollar is subdivided into 100 cents. Coins come in denominations of 2 and 1 dollars and 25, 10, 5 and 1 cents.
Automatic teller machines are common in Suriname. You can usually find them in both large & small cities. You don’t need a chip and PIN card to use an ATM: your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Internet speed in Suriname is on average 2.4 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in Suriname is low. It is not as easy to find one.
You can buy a SIM card for about 135.22 SRD, which includes 3 GB of data plan.
Suriname uses GSM mobile networks GSM 900 and GSM 1800.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in Suriname upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.
To call Suriname, dial +, then 597 (the country code for Suriname), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.
Moderate crime rate
Suriname has a moderate crime rate . Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.
It’s recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
In Suriname you drive on the left side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).
Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 40-50 km/h (24-31 mph) in all built-up areas, 80 km/h (49 mph) on undivided highways, 80 km/h (49 mph) on expressways and 80 km/h (49 mph) on motorways.
An IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required as well as your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave your home country.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- your age must be over 25
- you must have a full license for at least a 1 year
- have a credit card (Usually Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Illegal, but tolerated
Prostitution is illegal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are illegal.
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.
- Police 112
- Ambulance 112
- Fire department 112
- Police 111
- Ambulance 113
- Fire 110
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Typhoid fever
- Yellow Fever
- Hepatitis A
These vaccinations apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $20.39Was: $29.99
Price: $10.19Was: $14.99
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $13.55Was: $16.00
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com