Travel Information Thailand
- FLAG 🇹🇭
- CAPITAL Bangkok
- GOVERNMENT constitutional monarchy
- CURRENCY Thai baht (THB)
- POPULATION 66,720,153 (2011 estimate)
- TOTAL AREA 513,120km² (land: 510,890km² water: 2,230km²)
- LANGUAGES Thai, minority languages
- DECIMAL SYSTEM Thailand uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is UTC+07:00
- LOCATION Located in South-Eastern Asia
Most popular cities in Thailand
- Bangkok — Thailand’s bustling, frenetic capital, known among the Thai as Krung Thep
- Ayutthaya — a historical city, UNESCO World Heritage Site and old capital of Siam
- Chiang Mai— de facto capital of Northern Thailand and the heart of Lanna culture
- Chiang Rai — gateway to the Golden Triangle, ethnic minorities and mountain trekking
- Chumphon— gateway to the Chumphon Archipelago, Pathio’s unspoilt beaches & Ko Tao Island
- Kanchanaburi — home of the bridge over the River Kwai and numerous World War II museums
- Nakhon Ratchasima — largest city of the Isaan region
- Pattaya — one of the main tourist destinations, known for its nightlife
- Sukhothai — Thailand’s first capital, with amazing ruins still
- Surat Thani — home of the Srivijaya Empire, gateway to Ko Samui
Sockets & Plugs
Thailand uses 230V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type A, Type B, Type C and Type F.
Thailand uses the Thai baht (symbol: ฿), code THB.
Banknotes come in denominations of 1000, 500, 100, 50 and 20 baht. Baht is subdivided into 100 satangs. Coins come in denominations of 10, 5, 2 and 1 bahts and 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 satangs.
Automatic teller machines are very common in Thailand. You can find them in both large & small cities, tourist areas etc.
You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Not expected, but can leave extra tip
Tipping is usually not expected in Thailand. However, if you are satisfied with the service provided you can show your appreciation by leaving a small ‘extra’ tip.
Internet speed in Thailand is on average 9.3 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in Thailand is moderate. It’s relatively easy to find one when needed.
You can buy a SIM card for about 365.50 THB, which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 3 telecoms: TrueMove H, dtac or AIS.
Thailand uses GSM mobile networks GSM 900, GSM 1900 and GSM 1800.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in Thailand upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.
To call Thailand, dial +, then 66 (the country code for Thailand), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.
Moderate crime rate
Thailand has a moderate crime rate . Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.
It’s recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
You drive on the left side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).
Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 120 km/h (74 mph) on motorways, 60 km/h (37 mph) in all built-up areas, 90 km/h (55 mph) on undivided highways and 90-120 km/h (55-74 mph) on expressways.
IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is 20 years old.
Illegal, but tolerated
Prostitution is illegal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are illegal.
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.
- Police 191
- Ambulance 1669
- Fire department 199
- Ambulance (Bangkok only) 1646
- Tourist police 1155
- Traffic control center (Bangkok Metro only) 1197
- Highway patrol 1193
- Mobile phones 112
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Typhoid fever
- Hepatitis A
- Yellow Fever
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
- Japanese Encephalitis
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com