Travel Information Cambodia
- FLAG 🇰🇭
- CAPITAL Phnom Penh
- GOVERNMENT Constitutional Monarchy under a Multiparty Democracy
- CURRENCY US dollar (USD) officially used, Khmer riel (KHR) is only for small transactions.
- POPULATION 14,494,293 (July 2009 est.)
- TOTAL AREA 181,035km²
- LANGUAGES Khmer (official), French, English
- DECIMAL SYSTEM Cambodia uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is UTC+07:00
- LOCATION Cambodia is located in South-Eastern Asia.
Most popular cities in Cambodia
- Phnom Penh — the capital, just south of the geographical center of the country
- Banlung — far northeastern provincial capital located near some great waterfalls and national parks
- Battambang — the second biggest town of Cambodia
- Kampot — town between the capital and Sihanoukville and gateway to the Bokor National Park
- Koh Kong — small border crossing town near the Thai border
- Kompong Thom — access to less well known (and less crowded) ancient temples and other sites
- Kratie — relaxed river town in the north-east on the Mekong, and an excellent place to get a close look at endangered river dolphins
- Siem Reap — the access point for Angkor Wat
- Sihanoukville — seaside town in the south, also known as Kompong Som
Sockets & Plugs
Cambodia uses 230V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type A, Type C and Type G.
Cambodia uses the Cambodian riel (symbol: ៛), code KHR.
Banknotes come in denominations of 100000, 50000, 20000, 10000, 5000, 2000, 1000, 500, 100 and 50 riel. Riel is subdivided into 100 sens. Coins come in denominations of 500, 200, 100 and 50 riel.
Automatic teller machines are rare in Cambodia. Your best bet is to look for them in large cities and community places.
You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Not expected, but you can leave an extra tip
Tipping is usually not expected in Cambodia. However, if you are satisfied with the service provided you can show your appreciation by leaving a small ‘extra’ tip.
Internet speed in Cambodia is on average 4.4 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in Cambodia is low. It is not as easy to find one.
You can buy a SIM card for about 10,144.55 KHR, which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 4 telecoms: Cellcard (Mobitel), Metfone, Seatel or Smart.
Cambodia uses GSM mobile networks GSM 1800 and GSM 900.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in Cambodia upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.
To call Cambodia, dial +, then 855 (the country code for Cambodia), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.
Moderate crime rate
Cambodia has a moderate crime rate . Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.
It’s recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
In Cambodia you drive on the right side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).
Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 120 km/h (74 mph) on motorways, 120 km/h (74 mph) on expressways, 60-80 km/h (37-49 mph) in all built-up areas and 90 km/h (55 mph) on undivided highways.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is not defined.
Prostitution is illegal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are illegal.
Cannabis is illegal, but decriminalized
Although drugs are illegal (including cannabis), cannabis (marijuana) is decriminalized meaning you will not go to jail and it will not be on your criminal record if you get caught. However, you could still get a fine, rehabilitation, community service or a combination of the three.
- Police 117
- Ambulance 119
- Fire department 118
- Child helpline 1280
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Yellow Fever
- Typhoid fever
- Hepatitis A
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
- Japanese Encephalitis
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $18.69Was: $27.99
Price: $18.05Was: $27.99
Price: $19.95Was: $23.99
Price: $21.62Was: $29.99
Price: $17.00Was: $25.00
Price: $16.58Was: $19.99
Price: Check on Amazon
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com