Travel Information Bangladesh
- FLAG 🇧🇩
- CAPITAL Dhaka (Dacca)
- GOVERNMENT Parliamentary democracy
- CURRENCY taka (BDT)
- POPULATION 156,118,464 (July 2010 est.)
- TOTAL AREA 147,570 km2
- LANGUAGES Bengali (official) English (recognised, has some national status)
- DECIMAL SYSTEM Bangladesh uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is UTC+06:00
- LOCATION Bangladesh is located in Southern Asia
Most popular cities in Bangladesh
- Dhaka – The hectic capital city, an intense and thriving metropolis of some 12 million people that’s growing by the day.
- Chittagong – a bustling commercial center and the largest international seaport in the country.
- Mymensingh – a historic city located by the side of river Brahmaputa with a rich cultural and political history dating back more than 200 years.
- Khulna – located on the Rupsha River, famous for shrimp and a starting point for journeys into the Sundarbans.
- Rajshahi – the silk city.
- Rangpur – important city in the north-west, with extensive agriculture and trade.
- Barisal – Southern city famous for Paddy growing and its many rivers, best reached by a slow-paced and relaxing boat ride on the Rocket Steamer.
- Sylhet – the largest city in the northeast, known for the shrine of Sufi saint Hazrat Shahjalal, one of the holiest sites in the country.
- Jessore – a bustling district town, and convenient transit point to or from Kolkata; famous for Gur, a form of cake-like molasses produced from the extract of the date tree.
- Comilla – (Bengali: কুমিল্লা) is a city in eastern Bangladesh, located along the Dhaka-Chittagong Highway. It is the administrative center of the Comilla District, part of the Chittagong Division.
Sockets & Plugs
Bangladesh uses 220V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type A, Type C, Type D, Type G and Type K.
Bangladesh uses the Bangladeshi taka (symbol: ৳), code BDT.
Banknotes come in denominations of 1000, 500, 100, 60, 50, 40, 25, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 takas. Taka is subdivided into 100 paisas. Coins come in denominations of 5, 2 and 1 takas and 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 paisas.
Automatic teller machines are rare in Bangladesh. Your best bet is to look for them in large cities and community places.
You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Not expected, but you can leave extra tip
Tipping is usually not expected in Bangladesh. However, if you are satisfied with the service provided you can show your appreciation by leaving a small ‘extra’ tip. Receipts usually include a service charge. If there is a service charge there is no need to tip.
Internet speed in Bangladesh is on average 2.7 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in Bangladesh is very low. It’s quite hard to find one.
You can buy a SIM card for about 358.34 BDT, which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 5 telecoms: Grameenphone, Teletalk, Banglalink, Airtel or Robi.
Bangladesh uses GSM mobile networks GSM 1800 and GSM 900.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in Bangladesh upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.
To call Bangladesh, dial +, then 880 (the country code for Bangladesh), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.
High crime rate
Bangladesh has a high crime rate . Keep large amounts of money, expensive jewellery, cameras and phones out of sight. Don’t change or withdraw large sums of money in busy public areas including foreign exchange facilities or ATMs. Thieves operate at international airports, and bus and railway stations. Keep your valuables safe and baggage with you at all times. Don’t pick up strangers or stop to help apparently distressed motorists, as this is a technique sometimes used by hijackers.
It’s highly recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
It is illegal to purchase, possess or drink alcohol.
Prostitution is illegal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are legal.
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.
- Police 999
- Ambulance 199
- Fire department 199
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Typhoid fever
- Yellow Fever
- Hepatitis A
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
- Japanese Encephalitis
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com