Travel Information South Africa
- FLAG 🇿🇦
- CAPITAL Administrative: Pretoria – Legislative: Cape Town – Judicial: Bloemfontein
- GOVERNMENT Republic
- CURRENCY Rand (ZAR)
- POPULATION 48,782,756 (July 2008 est.)
- TOTAL AREA 1,219,912km² (water 4,620km², land 1,214,470km²)
- LANGUAGES Afrikaans, English, Zulu
- DECIMAL SYSTEM x
- TIME ZONE x
- LOCATION x
Most popular cities in South Africa
- Pretoria – The administrative capital of South Africa
- Bloemfontein – Location of the Supreme Court of Appeal, the highest court in non-constitutional matters. The Constitutional Court in Johannesburg became the highest court in constitutional matters in 1994.
- Cape Town – The legislative capital and seat of Parliament. A world-class city named for its proximity to the Cape of Good Hope. Also within a stone’s throw of South Africa’s winelands. One of the most beautiful cities in the world, nestled between the sea and Table Mountain, it is a popular summer destination by both domestic tourists and those from abroad.
- Durban – Largest city in KwaZulu-Natal, third largest in South Africa and popular coastal holiday destination for South Africans.
- Newcastle – 3rd largest city in KwaZulu-Natal, one of the large regional cities in South Africa and Capital of Northern KZN. Famous for Steel Production, Coal Mining, Heavy Industry and is South Africa’s Textile Industry Capital.
- Johannesburg – The economic heart of Africa and the most common entry point into Southern Africa.
- Kimberley – Capital of the Northern Cape Province. Famous for its diamonds and “Big Hole”.
- Polokwane – Capital of Limpopo (formerly known as Pietersburg) and a good jump off point for visits to the northern parts of the Kruger National Park and Zimbabwe.
- Port Elizabeth – Coastal city in the Eastern Cape with Addo Elephant National Park located close by.
- Upington – Located in the arid Northern Cape province, this city is a good base when exploring the Kalahari desert and the many national parks located in the Northern Cape.
Sockets & Plugs
xxx uses 220V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type D and Type M.
High crime rate
IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
- Police 112
- Ambulance 112
- Fire department 112
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Typhoid fever
- Hepatitis A
- Yellow Fever
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com