Travel Information Namibia
- FLAG 🇳🇦
- CAPITAL Windhoek
- GOVERNMENT Republic
- CURRENCY Namibian dollar (NAD), South African rand (ZAR)
- POPULATION 2,100,692 (July 2006 est.)
- TOTAL AREA total: 824,292 km2 (water: 1,002 km2 & land: 823,290 km2)
- LANGUAGES English 7% (official), Afrikaans common language of most of the population and about 60% of the white population, German 32%, indigenous languages: Oshivambo, Herero, Nama
- DECIMAL SYSTEM Namibia uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is UTC+01:00 with daylight saving time
- LOCATION Namibia is located in Southern Africa
Most popular cities in Namibia
- Windhoek – Namibia’s capital and largest city.
- Keetmanshoop – Small town on the rail lines and highway, jumping off point for treks in the Fish River Canyon Park.
- Lüderitz – Colonial-era German coastal town.
- Ondangwa and Oshakati – Twin towns in the heart of Owamboland, northern Namibia.
- Outjo – Gateway to the Etosha National Park, Koakoveld and Damaraland.
- Swakopmund – Coastal town, a mecca for Namibians on holiday.
- Tsumeb – Mining town east of Etosha.
- Tsumkwe – rural desert town surrounded by San (Bushmen) villages.
- Walvis Bay – Desert sports.
Sockets & Plugs
Namibia uses 220V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type D and Type M.
Namibia uses the Namibian dollar (symbol: $), code NAD.
Banknotes come in denominations of 200, 100, 50, 20 and 10 dollar. Dollar is subdivided into 100 cents. Coins come in denominations of 10, 5 and 1 dollars and 50, 10 and 5 cent.
Automatic teller machines are common in Namibia. You can usually find them in both large & small cities.
You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Internet speed in Namibia is on average 2.0 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in Namibia is very low. It’s quite hard to find one.
You can buy a SIM card for about 194.41 NAD, which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 2 telecoms: TN Mobile or MTC.
Namibia uses GSM mobile networks GSM 900 and GSM 1800.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in Namibia upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home
To call Namibia, dial +, then 264 (the country code for Namibia), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.
High crime rate
Namibia has a high crime rate . Keep large amounts of money, expensive jewellery, cameras and phones out of sight. Don’t change or withdraw large sums of money in busy public areas including foreign exchange facilities or ATMs. Thieves operate at international airports, and bus and railway stations. Keep your valuables safe and baggage with you at all times. Don’t pick up strangers or stop to help apparently distressed motorists, as this is a technique sometimes used by hijackers.
It’s highly recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
In Namibia you drive on the left side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).
Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 120 km/h (74 mph) on motorways, 120 km/h (74 mph) on expressways, 60 km/h (37 mph) in all built-up areas and 80-120 km/h (49-74 mph) on undivided highways.
IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is 18 years old.
Prostitution is legal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are illegal.
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.
- Police 112
- Ambulance 112
- Fire department 112
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Typhoid fever
- Hepatitis A
- Yellow Fever
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $20.12Was: $27.99
Price: $20.69Was: $28.99
Price: $10.78Was: $28.99
Price: $16.68Was: $21.00
Price: $16.37Was: $24.99
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com