Travel Information Egypt
- FLAG 🇪🇬
- CAPITAL Cairo
- GOVERNMENT Republic
- CURRENCY Egyptian pound (EGP)
- POPULATION 78,887,007(July 2006 estimate)
- TOTAL AREA 1,001,450km² (land: 995,450km² water: 6,000km²)
- LANGUAGES Arabic (official), English and French widely understood
- DECIMAL SYSTEM Egypt uses metric system (kilograms, centimeters, °C)
- TIME ZONE Time zone is UTC+02:00
- LOCATION Egypt is located in Northern Africa
Most popular cities in Egypt
- Cairo – the capital of Egypt, home to the Giza Pyramids, the Egyptian Museum and fabulous Islamic architecture
- Alexandria – Egypt’s window on the Mediterranean, with still-palpable glimpses of the past
- Port Said – Egypt’s third largest city, has a cosmopolitan heritage, bordering the Mediterranean, home to the Lighthouse of Port Said
- Aswan – a more relaxed option, full of amazing sights
- Luxor – gateway to the Valley of the Kings, amongst other fabulous attractions
- Hurghada – a town on the Red Sea, filled with all-inclusive resorts and diving
Sockets & Plugs
Egypt uses 220V, 50Hz with sockets and plugs Type C and Type F.
Egypt uses the Egyptian pound (symbol: E£), code EGP.
Banknotes come in denominations of 200, 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5 pound. Pound is subdivided into 100 piastres. Coins come in denominations of 1 pounds and 50 and 25 piastre.
Automatic teller machines are rare in Egypt. Your best bet is to look for them in large cities and community places.
You do not need a chip & PIN card to use an ATM — your standard magnetic card will work fine.
Expected to tip
Tipping is expected in Egypt since staff depend on tips to supplement their often minimum wages. Receipts usually include a service charge.
Internet speed in Egypt is on average 1.7 Mbps.
WiFi coverage in Egypt is low. It is not as easy to find one.
You can buy a SIM card for about 71.42 EGP, which includes 1 GB of data plan. You can choose from 3 telecoms: Mobinil, Etisalat or Vodafone.
Egypt uses GSM mobile networks GSM 1800 and GSM 900.
If you don’t want to buy SIM card in Egypt upon arrival, make sure to check the roaming charges with your telecom provider before your departure so there are no surprises when you return home.
To call Egypt, dial +, then 20 (the country code for Egypt), then the area code (without the initial 0) and the local number.
Moderate crime rate
Egypt has a moderate crime rate . Take precautions to avoid mugging, bag snatching and pickpocketing. Be particularly vigilant at airports, railway stations and crowded public gatherings. Do not leave valuables unattended.
It’s recommended to follow security precautions like wearing a money belt, leaving valuables in your hotel room safe or well out of sight, securing your bag, staying vigilant in crowds and steering clear of commotions.
In Egypt you drive on the right side. Most cars have manual transmission (stick).
Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 100 km/h (62 mph) on motorways, 100 km/h (62 mph) on expressways, 60 km/h (37 mph) in all built-up areas and 90 km/h (55 mph) on undivided highways.
IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Minimum age to purchase and drink alcohol is 21 years old.
Prostitution is illegal (in a way of exchanging sex for money). Brothels are illegal.
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
Drugs (including cannabis/marijuana) are illegal & criminalized which means you are risking jail time with other penalties (fine, community service, rehabilitation) if you are caught.
- Police 122
- Ambulance 123
- Fire department 180
- Tourist police 126
- Traffic police 128
- Electricity emergency 121
- Gas emergency 129
- Mobile phones 112
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Typhoid fever
- Yellow Fever
- Hepatitis A
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $11.42Was: $27.99
Price: $20.39Was: $29.99
Price: $7.91Was: $9.99
Price: $21.62Was: $29.99
Price: $30.80Was: $39.99
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $12.46Was: $17.99
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: Check on Amazon
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com