Travel Information Algeria
- FLAG 🇩🇿
- CAPITAL Algiers
- GOVERNMENT Unitary semi-presidential people’s republic
- CURRENCY Algerian dinar (د.م DZD)
- POPULATION 40,400,000 (January 2016 estimate)
- TOTAL AREA 2,381,741km²
- LANGUAGES Arabic and Tamazight (official), French and English are often the languages of business
- DECIMAL SYSTEM x
- TIME ZONE x
- LOCATION x
Most popular cities in Algeria
- Algiers – with nearly 3 Million inhabitants Algiers is the Capital but also political and cultural centre of Algeria. Beautiful mix of white-washed French buildings, narrow streets of the UNESCO listed Casbah, beautiful parks and the magic Bay of Algiers.
- Annaba – A town with 200,000 inhabitants located in the east of Algeria next to the border of Tunisia. Annaba enjoys nice colonial building, a very nice church on a hill built for Saint-Augustin and amazing beaches.
- Batna – A modern city in the Aures region, in the East of Algeria. Near can be found Timgad, one of the most beautiful Roman ruins in the world, but also the Ghoufi Canyons.
- Bechar – Small city in the Sahara, not far away from the Moroccan border.
- Constantine – An impressive city in the East, full of history and traditions, on huge and dramatic cliffs and crossed by various bridges. The harbour at Oran
- Oran – Biggest city after Algiers also called second Paris by Algerians, with many impressive buildings from the colonial time. Oran is the city of partying and leisure with its beaches and nightclubs and the worldwide famous Raï music.
- Sétif – South of Kabylia with quite moderate temperatures and occasional snow falls in the winter. Near can be found Djemila, a beautiful ancient Roman city.
- Tamanrasset – Largest town in the South and starting point for expeditions to the Sahara and the Hoggar mountains
- Bejaia – Second largest city in Kabylia, with an amazing coastline, gorgeous beaches and nice architecture, a castle can be visited on the Gourara mountain.
- Ghardaia – A UNESCO listed city where the desert starts with its marvellous Mzab architecture and its art.
- Tipaza – A very nice city next to Algiers with beautiful beaches and Roman ruins next to the sea.
- Mostaganem – A very touristy city next to Oran, known in the whole country for its culture and its numerous and very nice beaches.
- Tlemcen – A sophisticated city full of history, the most Moorish city of Algeria with its mosques and Muslim architecture.
Sockets & Plugs
High crime rate
IDP is required
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is required alongside your original license. IDP can be issued by your local automobile association before you leave home.
Rent a car
In order to rent a car:
- you must be over 25
- must hold a full license for at least a 1 year
- almost always have a credit card (Visa & MasterCard are the best)
Alcohol, drugs & prostitution
Cannabis is illegal & criminalized
- Police 112
- Ambulance 112
- Fire department 112
Vaccinations listed are recommended
The following vaccinations listed for this country are recommended for your protection and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Typhoid fever
- Hepatitis A
- Yellow Fever
These apply only to select travelers or persons on work assignments.
- Hepatitis B
IF YOU SEE ANY INCORRECT INFORMATION, OR IF YOU WANT TO ADD SOMETHING, SEND US A MAIL.
SOURCE & MORE INFORMATION: thebasetrip.com